Thursday, August 6, 2009

He was injured. Injured bad.


Sorry there haven't been a ton of new posts. These past 2 weeks have been really busy. One of the things that's been keeping us from settling down is that John got into a car accident 2 weeks ago. I know that God was looking out for John and I.

Remember how I hate T-Mobile with the burning passion of a thousand suns because they can't get signal in our house? John bought a cell phone booster and installed it on Wednesday night. I had just gotten in the shower on Thursday morning when I heard the phone ring. I figured it was John calling to remind me to do something or just asking a general question, so I didn't answer the phone. The phone rang 2 or 3 minutes later and I got out of the shower to answer it. As I heard John say that he was in an accident and wanted me to come be with him, someone started banging on our front door and ringing the doorbell. John's accident happened in our neighborhood and one of our terrific neighbors ran to tell me what just happened. I got to the scene and saw the mangled Celica, John, and an ambulance. Someone had parked a U-Haul with an attached trailer on one of the main streets in our neighborhood instead of on a side street or in their driveway. Since John drives east to work, the morning sun temporarily blinded him and he couldn't see the unusual vehicle. He didn't even hit his brakes. Needless to say, the Celica is gone forever.

I'm glad the ambulance came so quickly, but once John realized that he wasn't critically injured, we turned away the ambulance and a trip to the emergency room and opted to go to the urgent care facility close to our house. John initially wanted to just go to work, but I told him that there was no way I would let that happen. He was bleeding from a large cut on his head and wasn't able to remember certain things, so I asked him to think how I would feel if there was something wrong with him and I didn't make him go to a doctor. Plus, I rationalized, a doctor would be able to at least give him very strong pain medication which he would CERTAINLY need. We went to the urgent care facility where his Mom and sister were waiting. (Most amusing part of the day: we were waiting to get checked in and a nurse comes into the little waiting area and asks, without looking up from her clipboard, "And who are we seeing today?". Hmmm? I wonder?) A CT scan and X ray showed there was no bone damage and no brain swelling or bleeding. John did get 14 stitches at 2 different cuts on his head. It looks like his head hit the steering wheel and then the roll bar.

We are so fortunate. If John wouldn't have installed the cell phone booster, there is literally no way I would have known what was happening until someone came to our door. We settled on the house in Greer less than a week after the accident, so we have enough money to get John a nice used car without having to take out a loan. I moved in with John barely 3 weeks before the accident. If I wouldn't have moved in with him I don't know what would have happened. He may have just gone home, changed clothes and gone to work. It's a scary thought.

All's well that ends well and we now get to have alot of fun picking out a new (for John) car. YAY! I think that's a pretty great silver lining.

No comments: