Thursday, January 29, 2009

Recessionista? Or Cheap Cheap Cheap?

When I lived in DC, I was lucky enough to have a contract position at a company that booked all the students at the Redken and Matrix Academies in New York. I searched the database to find a colorist and spent close to 3 years going to a WONDERFUL woman in Elkton. With a huge discount my haircut and dyes cost $100, including tip. When I moved to Greer, I went to a high end salon twice to get my hair cut. I knew I had to cut costs, so I started dying my hair at home. I at least went to Sally Beauty Supply to get salon brands of hair dye, and I went to Hair Cuttery to get my hair cut. That was at least SOMETHING. Almost all stylists at Hair Cuttery go to one Redken event per year, right? And it's not a BAD haircut as long as I can curl it, right? Wal-Mart has cheaper haircuts. John suggested I go there, and my exact words about it were "I have SOME standards." Well, I have in fact gotten my hair cut at WalMart while I was getting my car's oil changed. Klassy with a K, my friends. I need to get my hair cut and I really am pinching pennies now. Cujo has been sick twice this month and his vet bills total over $300. With a new home purchase on the horizon, I can't spare a penny. So today I did something I thought I'd never do. I got a haircut with a coupon. At Great Clips. Because I cannot afford to get my hair cut at Wal-Mart. I paid $5.99 for my hair cut. Is it a bad hair cut? No. It took less than 10 minutes and the stylist didn't ask me what my name was, but that's OK. I don't have dead ends, my hair doesn't look like it's been styled with a hand mixer, and I have some money for things that are important.

No comments: